Monday, January 5, 2009

The Curious Case of Ken Griffey Jr.


Not all mistakes are built to last.

Almost nine years ago, the Seattle Mariners traded their best player in franchise history to the Cincinnati Reds. At the time, the deal seemed like a coup for the Reds. They snagged baseball's marquee player. A 30-year-old superstar who appeared well on his way to demolishing Hank Aaron's all-time home run mark.

The Mariners got the baseball equivalent to a bag of movie popcorn that's half filled with overly salted kernels (OK it wasn't that drastic. But that trade was essentially Mike Cameron for Ken Griffey Jr. That's like the Lakers trading Kobe for Ricky Davis).

I remember how I felt after hearing the trade went down. The singular force for me having any interest in baseball was gone. I couldn't believe it. I knew it was a mistake.

In the ensuing years, while many "Mariners fans" gloated about how the team was far better without Griffey, I maintained that Griffey belonged in Seattle, and the franchise would have at least one World Series title with him.

Since 2004, I have actively campaigned for the M's to bring Griffey home (I even spent 2 hours in a sweltering Caribbean bar waiting on an ESPN Deportes story regarding the possibility that Junior might be interested in a return to Seattle).

This year is no different. So once again, I am publicly advocating for the return of Ken Griffey Jr. to Seattle.

The Mariners need Griffey as much as he needs them. By losing Raul Ibanez to free agency, the M's anemic offense is currently fit to battle the cast of Gossip Girl in a home run derby. Last season's fatal flaw was not filling the gaping whole in the lineup left by Crazy Jose Guillen. They can't afford to make the same mistake twice.

Critics will argue that signing Griffey will be no more than a publicity stunt - an easy way to put fans in the seats, or a "typical" Mariners politically correct signing. But is that such a bad thing? The team needs to make money in order to keep feeding Carlos Silva Double Stuffed Oreos. And if one thing is for certain, it's that Griffey is recession proof.

They say Griffey is way over the hill. While his .249 batting average, 18 home runs 71 RBI's and .778 OPS supportthat claim, a bothersome knee is largely to blame for the dramatic fall off in production compared to his 2007 numbers (.277, 30, 93, .868).

Junior can DH and play some spot left and center when needed. Safeco Field was built for his left handed power stroke.

Money isn't a motivating factor. From all reports, it seems like Junior just wants to play. By signing Pat Burrell, the Rays have effectively bowed out of the running. And going back to the NL is an accident waiting to happen. Junior can be had for probably $7 million plus incentives.

The Mariners offer Junior not only the best chance to play, but also the only chance to properly end his career.

This story needs a happy ending. I know I shouldn't put my faith in heroes. But I can't see Junior any other way.

I know I'm right. I feel it. I see it. I believe this with all my heart and soul.

Hopefully, the people who can do something about it feel the same way.

No comments: