Wednesday, April 1, 2009

MPG


While driving in the car this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to hear one of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs, "I Want You" on XM Channel 62. This was followed up with "What's Going On" and I knew this meant something.

After some deep thought (explain to me how this is any more distracting than holding a cell phone to your ear), I realized the date - April 1. Today marks 25 years since Marvin's untimely death in 1984.

Until releasing "What's Going On", Marvin really represented little more than a manufactured poster boy for Motown. This isn't to say he didn't record some incredible songs, because there were many. But his transformation into a true artist is unprecedented.

With the "What's Going On" album, Gaye established himself as a transcendent figure in the Civil Rights/Vietnam era.

And while he could have taken on that persona and continued to record socially conscious music, Marvin went in a completely different direction, releasing some of the most provocative, sexually charged music ever produced.

Gaye's "What's Going On", "Let's Get It On" and the highly unappreciated "I Want You" albums hold up to the best three albums from any artist in music history.

So without going on much longer, I'd like to recognize someone who deserves to be regarded as one of the all-time great musicians. Marvin left way too soon. But luckily his music continues to make an impact on multiple levels.

For those interested in expanding their Marvin Gaye library beyond the obligatory "Sexual Healing" and "Let's Get It On", I highly suggest the following:

"Soon I'll Be Loving You"
"I Wannna Be Where You Are"
"When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You?"
"After The Dance"
"Come Get To This"
"What's Happening, Brother"
"A Funky Space Reincarnation"
"Distant Lover (Live at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum)"
"I'm Gonna Give You Respect"
"All The Way 'Round"

And for the reading public, Michael Eric Dyson's, Mercy, Mercy, Me: The Art, Loves and Demons of Marvin Gaye is phenomenal.

Lastly, Marvin's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the 1983 NBA All-Star Game is a must watch. (If you don't get chills around 2:20 then something is wrong).

No comments: