Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Dream Fulfilled


I wrote this last week, when Junior appeared destined to return home. I sat on it, for fear that sharing my thoughts before a contract was signed would ultimately jinx the entire process. Nevertheless, I figured I should share what might have been.

John Kinsella
: Is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella: It's Iowa.
John Kinsella: Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.
Ray Kinsella: Is there a heaven?
John Kinsella: Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
Ray Kinsella: Maybe this is heaven.

My alarm should go off any second now. Earth Wind & Fire's, "Love's Holiday" will jump start me from my slumber and I'll realize I'm having a repeat dream - the one where the Mariners bring back Griffey.

Only this appears to be happening. Ken Griffey Jr., the greatest player to ever wear a Mariners jersey is coming home.

The cynics will say this is a publicity stunt and Junior and the Mariners will break down early in the season, en route to another 100-loss campaign. But what if this team clicks and plays up to its potential? What if Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard and Brandon Morrow pitch up to their respective potential and form a potent top of the rotation trio? What if Franklin Guttierez, Yuniesky Bentancourt learn that pitchers don't have a one pitch per-at-bat limit? And what if Junior follows his old man and puts together a great end to a great career?

The 2009 Mariners aren't as bad as most are making them out to be. Are they playoff contenders? Probably not. Will they be competitive? Absolutely.

This is about righting a wrong. This is about redemption. This is about fathers and sons connecting. This is about doing something for the love of the game. This is about the joy you felt when you bought your first 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookie card.

Griffey should have never left. He knows that. The Mariners know that too(there's a relatively in- depth back story to this that I won't get into).

Most greats don't get to end their careers this way. MJ was a Wizard. Brett was a Jet. Willie Mays was a Met. Those don't even read right. It's like if Springsteen decided he was going to front Styx.

Griffey was, is and always will be a Mariner. Griffey is Seattle. Griffey is the best.

I've waited nine years. This is an absolute dream come true.

Maybe this is heaven.

No comments: