Friday, October 3, 2008

Purple Pledge


You would think losing tickets to a sporting event would be a hard thing to do. But for some reason, my dad is highly skilled at this art.

About 20 minutes before kick off for last weekend's UW/Stanford game, I get a call; "Boy, I can't find the tickets. See if you can find anyone who has extras."

As I hurriedly walked outside Husky Stadium's multiple entrances, searching for a decent priced pair of tickets, I found myself reluctant to pay even ten bucks to watch this team. Then I started thinking - the university should pay UW fans for suffering through the horse shit product they've produced since 2004.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon Chris Ballard's Sports Illustrated story on Stanford's "Gridiron Gurantee". In a culture surrounded by inflated salaries and ticket prices, this is more refreshing than having a "maverick" in the White House .

Here's my proposal for the Huskies "Purple Pledge".

Defense surrenders 400+ passing yards = Free Schultzy's hot dogs for all attending fans
Botched Extra Point = The real Lil' Penny is named interim coach for a game
Blown out by ranked opponent = Fans get a free Tyrone Willingham pistol. Bullets not included.
Jake Locker overthrowing a receiver by 20 yards = Seat cushions throughout Husky Stadium
Apple Cup Loss = Free season tickets for life for all current season ticket holders

No comments: