Monday, July 14, 2008

Stevie Pt. 2



It took Stevie Wonder over 20 years to return to Seattle last summer. So few would have thought that Stevie would be back in less than 11 months. But there he was, perched upon his piano stool, surrounded by an 11-piece band and multiple synthesizers.

Stevie's Friday night concert at Auburn's White River Amphitheater proved to be a nice bookend to last August's concert at Chateau St. Michele that was cut short due to a 10PM politically correct bill(it's from the same bill that states fans cannot boo at Seattle Mariners games).

Knowing that Stevie's previous concert sold out in about 0.7 seconds, I put myself in perfect position to snatch anything I could get my hands on. I failed to realize that the White River has capacity for 20,000, compared to the Chateau's 4,300. I quickly purchased 8 tickets together for $1,200. Then I got buyer's remorse and wanted to make sure I had the best seats. I started searching for a pair. Up came two seats that were better than the original 8. I had to buy those. Then I checked again. Two seats in row 6. I'd have to be an idiot not to bite. Suddenly I had 12 tickets to Stevie and a $2,000 bill.

After unloading 10 tickets, my remaining two just happened to be those sixth row seats. For a genuine Stevie fan like myself, sixth row was an unreal experience.

Stevie started the show off with "As If You Read My Mind" from the Hotter Than July album. An interesting choice to start since it wasn't a single and is one of the album's weaker tracks. Stevie proceeded to stick with the Hotter Than July theme as he ran through nearly half the album to start the show. Since his previous tour focused more on Songs In the Key of Life (in my opinion the second best album ever), the album shift was understandable.

Throughout the show, Stevie interacted with the crowd. At one point he openly wondered how many people in the crowd had made love to his songs (when I'm looking to set the mood, I put on "I Just Called To Say I Love You"). Stevie writes songs that make people cry (Saturn, A Place In The Sun, Lately). Not songs that people make love to. Sorry Stevie.

But Stevie's openness with the crowd took a turn for the worst when someone in his camp agreed to a contest with the local oldies radio station to let listeners vote on a local singer to get on stage and sing with Stevie. All of a sudden, the county fair came to town. Then things got real bad.

During Stevie's encore, one of his backup singers came up and whispered in his ear. Next thing I know, Sanjaya is prancing around the stage, singing "Superstition". My dad put it best when he said, "Having that clown sing with Stevie is like me having you play one-on-one with Kobe. It was a disgrace."

Being such a Stevie enthusiast, I couldn't help but feel like some songs could have been replaced by others. For instance, I've heard "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" a few too many times on FedEx commercials.

Regardless, under no circumstance would I ever pass up a Stevie concert. It could be the In Square Circle Anniversary Tour and I'd still be there. Me and my 12 tickets.

No comments: